Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Gross

If I could reinvent
cranberry juice & vodka,
you know I would.

We poured ourselves a mixture then,
50/50 —one part juice to one part Grey Goose
first years shouldn’t be able to afford
Grey Goose

And I must have had
two and a half cups,
large cups,
Schneider Center cups,
ignorantly testing
the limits of
my liver

but with you all,
with you.

The room spun,
tilt-a-whirl,
intestines little gymnasts
and everyone ordinary
became attractive

The 50-50 Mix
rendered us all
lip-slutty

Is this the part where you and I kiss?

I don’t remember much:
the music was bad and blaring,
and I wore a floor-length black boho skirt
people were lined up--
as though awaiting a firing squad--
on the two twin extra-longs,
flip-flopped feet flitting near the floor;

then,
retching alone in my 
room into a metal trashcan 
as though bobbing for apples,
too delirious to empty it,
leaving it instead, half-consciously,
in the public bathroom
across the hall from room 207.

The custodian found it the next day
and guilt consumed me.
I emptied it into the toilet 
so she wouldn’t have to

That smell, that taste:
of cranberries
and vodka
and bile

has not left me, for ten years.
To this day, I cannot enjoy vodka
in any form.

That 50-50 mix--
What we drank
when we were 
FINALLY masters of us,
our time
and all the lovely women
who secretly swooned
swooned, drunkenly,
then and later on,
as though the half-broken
half-breakers
were also worth loving.

One part
broken, one part 
breaking;
one part
cranberries, one part 
ethanol.

From concentrate,
from fountains;
and bottled,
distilled.



. . . . . 


© erika simone 2014