Monday, October 4, 2021

568: Houston Ballet Jubilee

There is very little that’s expressible with language about being in the Houston Ballet’s first audience in 568 days due to the pandemic. Everything was so wonderful! Many numbers made me cry, cheer, or give a standing ovation.  I am not easily moved! It had been so long since being in the grand Wortham Theater Center; I’d nearly forgotten how epic and lovely everything can feel there.

Three acts, featuring selections from Don Quixote, Sylvia, Madame Butterfly, as well as several of Stanton Welch’s original works, were some of the most fulfilling to witness in all my life seeing or participating in performing arts.  After nearly two years away from live performances of any kind, a respite was due.  They truly are athletes and artists, and finely tuned machines.  Mask enforcers be damned: their inspirational artistic spirit is the only thing that was contagious this Saturday October 2, 2021.

A lady in the audience complimented my gold fascinator hat.  It was definitely a very special occasion, deserving of high fashion—one I will not soon forget!  Thank you Eric, for accompanying me as my date.

Thank you to the Houston Ballet, Stanton Welch, and the beautiful arts community here in Texas.  My heart swells with pride.


Erika